Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Break the Silence

Martha at Menagerie posted an entry about how infrequently she has been blogging recently. She has the week off work, and proposed a challenge inviting her readers to join her in a mini bloggathon and post every day for the week The point is to help some of us regain some consistency in posting.

I know that I have really lost my momentum. I've been reduced to posting about once a month. It's a combination of having a lot of things competing for my time, an apparent loss of readers, and the feeling that I have nothing of interest to share.

So, I accepted the challenge. I miss what I used to get from frequent posting. Things just have not been the same since we moved to blogger. I feel overwhelmed by the number of blogs I come across that are of interest. I can't begin to follow them all. I want to follow my old favorites but often miss their new posts. And I have to decide between spending my allotted blogging time reading or writing.

I definitely do not spend near as much time at the computer as I once did. Through blogs, I have been introduced to so many creative ideas that I feel compelled to DO rather than be satisfied with a vicarious experience. At any given time, I could be doing what NEEDS to be done around here (NAH!!), or be out taking pictures, or editing the hundreds of photos I have that need work, or sewing, or......well, you get it. But I feel a sense of loss in sharing with my online friends, and perhaps this little challenge will help me to recapture a bit of that.

I'm really going to try to post SOMETHING each day this week. It may not be much, but if it's more than nothing then I've succeeded. There is value in this. I know it from the quality of friendship that I have found. Thank you Martha for encouraging me to recapture it, before it entirely slips away.

7 comments:

Martha said...

Believe me Kat I feel the same way you do - I feel like something really special in my life is slipping away. Sure I've had a little more time to dedicate to other things but I don't want to lose the friendships I've made on journals/blogs. It has been harder since moving from AOL - too many new bogs of interest added and so many from AOL have disappeared.

I hope we'll both recapture at least a little bit of the love we have for our blogging world.

Hugs, Martha

~~Kath~~ said...

I'm with you on this one. I don't post as much as I'd like to, but I am not at my computer either. I'm gardening, or knitting, or more importantly - hanging out with the grand kids! I've been writing (In my head) an entry called "Roar Restrictions" for about a month now. It changes daily, of course, and will probably never actually get posted. XOX ~~K~~

Julie said...

I am sad about the AOL community loss also. People don't blog as often. I think they do facebook and twitter and any number of other sites. I usually blog daily, nothing of importance but I use it to keep track of things and use my archives often.

alphawoman said...

I read several months ago (I am loosing my mind b/c I can not think of the blog's name, ex-AOL though) who decided to blog every day for a month. I thought that sounded good and I started to do it and before I knew it I was just thumping away again not caring if people read or commented but because it felt so good and unbottoned. Life caught up and I stopped (no computer available).Then I read Unhinged si going to write every day and so I thought I would try too. And you too!! Yay! I miss miss miss and can not even put into words how much I miss the AOL J-Land. I started a google reader just for AOL now blogger jnls. but so many just do not post anymore or I just have lost them. A sad time. But, I will follow you faithfully b/c I have you on my trusty bloglines!

Lisa :-] said...

I think the problem is that the "community" aspect of blogging has been transferred to places like Facebook and Twitter.

I was always a rather reluctant member of the community, so Facebook was a nightmare for me, and I have no interest whatsoever in Twitter. I do miss j-land, but I think, even if we had not been cast adrift by AOL, this change would have happened anyway.

While you're writing a post a day, Kat (and Mary...) don't forget about "Women On..." (Please?:) )

Cynthia said...

I've really missed your regular blogging, and I want you back. It's hard to keep a blog going as long as we have. I feel like I say the same old things over and over and wonder why anyone bothers to read them. We did create a community though, bonds through this internet ether, and that has been a good, nourishing reason for me to keep on going. Keep on, your voice is needed.

Gordy said...

I no longer feel the urge that I did not so long ago. I now realize that my blogging all my self pity only extended my depression.

The only thing that shocked me out of my depression was the remarriage of my ex-wife. That was the end of the hope I was vividly protecting.

Now I've had a long term girlfriend and then I ended that relationship. It was simply no longer fun, not that she was a problem.

The result is that I'm happier because I know myself a little better and rediscovered that I can make a woman happy just being myself. I enjoy myself, I enjoy my children, I enjoy my hobbies and my job.

Life is good.