Thursday, November 17, 2005

1/1/04

Gotta stand back

We're undertaking our first project of the year. It's (past) time to redo my son's room. He's nine now and it hasn't been redone since he was a baby. This was at my husbands initiative - so I'm really hanging back a bit. They've got the room emptied out, and I have been asked to remove the border. Boo Hoo - it's SO cute. I remember picking it out - how much I LOVED it. It has the sweetest baby animals on it...baby polar bears, tigers, wolves, elephants, and pandas. I knew this day would come - I have to accept there are no babies in this house anymore.
My husband is at the home store with Joel now - looking at borders and paint. I had to sit on my hands to stay out of it. The flat out truth is that my husband has NO decorating sense. But I have a feeling that if I try to pilot the project, all of a sudden I'll be the one holding the paintbrush, and I really don't want to go there.
This is a direct path to decorating wars. I've watched a little too much HGTV. If I get started with a project, I'm ready to faux paint, build furniture, go wild. Is anyone else afflicted with this disorder? They make it all look so easy - so you do a little faux painting, sew up a couple of swags, the next thing you know you're out in the yard with a pallet of flagstone and 4 tons of screenings installing a patio (ask me how I know).
My husband wants to paint a solid color and call it a good job. So I've just decided to let him feel like he's controlling this for the time being. Maybe after that solid color (translation: base coat) is done, I'll step in and add a little flair. Heck - he'll be back to work on Monday, the kids will be back to school, I can just take over then!
LOOK OUT!Written by
sunflowerkat321 .

This entry has 8 comments:
Once my "outdoor room" with flowing white curtains and a few pieces of carefully placed furniture filled with dry, crackling leaves, I abandoned Christopher Lowell. He really didn't look all that great as Little Bo Peep with a beard peeking through his stage makeup. I also learned that a little stenciling goes a very long way.Comment from rbushu - 1/5/04 11:09 PM

I don't have kids, so I really shouldn't say, BUT...I think it's cool for your husband and your son to be "bonding" this way. If you CAN, let them deal with it. It's only a room...and probably one you won't be wanting to go into anyway once he hits puberty!! Lisa :-]Comment from mlraminiak - 1/4/04 12:02 AM

OMG! my husband refused to even buy the paint for our room without me...he said: "What's the point? You'll redo it anyways."Comment from ckays1967 - 1/3/04 7:59 PM

Ah, so THAT is the border you were removing. Mmmm hmmm. It's all becoming clear to me now. :-) Well, good job that you're going to let your husband take charge of the (initial) part of the project. He gets to make a contribtution, it will avoid conflict and like you said, you can always go back and add to it later.Comment from somenuttychic - 1/3/04 11:50 AM

i've learned my own lesson .. i refuse to watch any more of the home improvement shows .. i ended up convinced that i too could redesign my daughters bedroom into something enjoyable to a pre-teen .. about a million buck and hours later it was finished .. weeks later the color was no longer her "favorite color" .. i make her suffer in silence if she wants to continue living lolpamelaComment from his1desire - 1/3/04 9:27 AM

Yes, I have the HGTV disorder, too. I can't leave a single surface in my house untouched!Comment from chefgracegeorge - 1/2/04 5:37 PM

I wish I had your enthusiasm, I grabbed a pillow, laid on the couch and said"I'm sleepin this year."Comment from mrscheesestix - 1/2/04 1:56 PM

I can empathize with you. I recently painted three rooms in my parent's house (surprisingly, they turned out pretty good!) JonComment from jayveesonata - 1/1/04 10:35 PM

No comments: